Monday 16 January 2012

                                                  
    Tart Cards_16These cards were some of my earliest memories of  BDSM and somewhere in my loft are my old cards. Now that dates me!  Prior to this I remember wonky old hand-written postcards in Poland Street etc  announcing that: 'Old chair-bottoms could be caned and recaned' or a 'TV and Wardrobe' was for sale along with the non-exotic 'French-polishing'.  I knew what 'Miss Stern ' and her strict correction lessons' were but I actually thought there was also a small furniture renovation industry in Soho, until my worldlier gay bosom-buddy enlightened me. In hindsight and in view of the current everything instantly available on demand Internet advertising, these funny little cards stand out as unique, a depiction of  the zeitgeist of those times. They were bawdy, amusing, kitsch, camp and intruiging  and I was compelled to pore over them, wondering what the hell was behand these odd little adverts.   having some inkling, no real insight,but making a vague connection to the 'Exchange & Mart' ads for discipline equipment, lurid expose's in the NoTW  et al and the Forum and Bizarre mags. These esoteric little announcements were clearly for those in-the-know. Subsequently I met a real 'Lady of the night' and bits of the jigsaw fell into place.
    My minder/driver used to be a vice-carder for the great and the good and the not so good.  Our combined stories of mad maids, crazy carders and dullally dommes and of course, the  visitors,  should be recorded for prosperity. (Names changed for discretion and to protect the guilty of course,in this age of  lawsuits and gagging-clauses)



      Tart Cards_13
        Tart Cards_12
          Tart Cards_10
            Tart Cards_7
              Tart Cards_2

                      No comments:

                      Post a Comment